Red-Tailed Hawk Unit Plan
Multiple Intelligences Unit Plan
There are 8: Naturalistic, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Intrapersonal, Verbal-Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Spatial, & Musical
(1) Naturalistic- Being outside and watching flight patterns of Hawk. Flying straight looking for food or circling for “entertainment” (anthropomorphic) ….. which leads us to ….
(2) Bodily-Kinesthetic Carter, Ammon, and I try to jog every evening. We turned our our jog into a fun experience with Toy Red-tailed hawks and some hawk-circling moments. It was awesome
(3) Intrapersonal coupled with (4) Verbal-Linguistic)
- – Write a paragraph with an opening statement, 3 supporting declarative statements, and a closing sentence telling how Carter and Ammon feel about red-tailed hawks.
This also took several days as a part of our writing lesson plans. I was so proud of Carter and Ammon’s first, complete, 5 sentence paragraph.
(5) Interpersonal- Two quick interpersonal interactions with acquaintances based on our book , Christmas Hawk.
Ammon’s Interpersonal Conversation
Ammon’s Dermatologist: “How cool is it that you all helped write a book?”
Ammon: Yes, she calls to us when we call to her. She eats field mice.
Ammon’s Dermatologist: Good luck with your book signing.
Ammon: Thank you
Carter’s Interpersonal Conversation
Carter and our family Friend, Joann
Joann: This hawk lives near your house?
Carter: Yes, she circles above our house, and we wrote a book about her.
Joann: What is the name of the book?
Carter: “Christmas Hawk”….(Carter hands Joann a copy of the book).
Joann: That is beautiful! Congratulations!
Carter: Thank you.
(6) Logical-Mathematical- (A)Cypher and work 4 word problems based on a reading “Cool Facts” from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology: About red-tailed hawks.
After reading, I created these mathematical word problems.
- A red-tailed hawk can make 1 nest in 7 days. How many days would it take a red-tailed hawk to build 3 nests? (21)
- If 4 male red-tailed hawks each weighs 2 pounds, how much do they weigh altogether? (8)
- If a female red-tailed hawk can lay 3 eggs a year, how many eggs would she lay in 5 years? (15)
- If we have 20 red-tailed hawks and there are equal numbers of males and females, how many male/female pairs would be made? (10)
I am not wasting your time with pics of Ammon & Carter’s answers, but they both made 100s.
(B) Make a fun board game having Hawk fly from start to finish:
- We used coins for game pieces.
- We used two regular dice.
Sorry it’s sideways, but here is our board! I was so proud, and the game was so fun!
(7) Spatial– Color a Red-tailed Hawk
(8)Music- Create a short song about Red-Tailed hawks
It took several days to compose the lyrics then execute the song it was a wonderful experience. It is a combination of both Musical & Verbal-linguistic Intelligences.